Alan Vessey C.Eng

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from Wednesday 15 March 2006

Alan Vessey was apprenticed to D. Napier & Son Ltd in Acton from 1952.
He entered the RAF Education Branch for his National Service before returning to Acton Works as a Methods Engineer on blade manufacture.  In 1961 he joined GEC A.E.L. Stanmore as a Design Draughtsman on missile guidance systems.
He became a Chartered Engineer in 1974 upon election to the Institutions of Manufacturing Engineers and Engineering Designers, during 25 years spent as Lecturer in Engineering Design and Manufacture at Aylesbury College. After being Technical Editor of "Model Engineer" for 3 years from 1988 - 1991, he took a production post at Negretti Aviation.
In 1992 he became a founded member of the "Napier Power Heritage Trust”.
His illustrated book "Napier Powered", published in 1997, highlights Napier Company achievements this century. He has just completed a new book "By Precision Into Power" A Bicentennial Record of D.Napier & Son to be published in 2007. He became the Trusts Chairman at this years AGM and carries on as Archivist and editor of the Newsletter.

Re: Alan Vessey C.Eng

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive form

Alan, Can you please tell me where Frank Halford is buried?

Ken Rimell Typhoon and Tempest Association

Re: Alan Vessey C.Eng

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from 17 March 2009

Hallo Alan,
You may just remember a quite useless apprentice at Napiers Acton and a fellow student at Enfield technical college. I managed eventually to pass my HND in Mech engineering and got a commission in the REME on the strength of it. I was still quite useless as an engineer and after 6 years transferred to the RAEC and enjoyed great success because I could communicate well. Nine years later I went to Bangladesh as a missionary teacher at a boys’ high school and went on to become mission secretary in Dhaka. In between I trained for the Baptist ministry at Regents’ Park College Oxford, where I managed a BA Theology Hons. God has been pleased to use a useless engineer in better ways. You were always destined to be a good one and I was delighted to find you through Google. My wife Rose, sadly has Alzheimers disease and is now in care but reasonably happy and still a joy.
All best wishes Frank Mardell