Ex Napier(Liverpool) apprentice.

Ken Lawler
Hello to all Napierians,
I served a craft apprenticeship at the Liverpool,East Lancs works between 1957-1962.
My father also worked on the same site but at English Electric and my uncle Bert Lawler worked at the East Lancs site during the war and finished his employment at Napiers as a foreman at the Netherton works.
I spent most of my apprenticeship in E shop where Mr Galna was production manager and Mr Young was Superintendant. Mr Galna was a stickler for good effort and personal presentation when in the machine shop, and i remember the first time i entered E shop from the apprentice school with my hands in my pockets,he gave me a roasting and made me walk back and return in the correct manner.
I was awarded the foremans shield in my final year and this coupled with the name of Napier has served me well in my working life, finishing as production manager at Leyland motors truck plant.Thank you D.Napier

Re: Ex Napier(Liverpool) apprentice.

Thomas Henry Carter
I joined Napiers in 1941 at the age of 14 and did various jobs until being placed into the Tool room.
I agree with your remarks about "Jimmy Galna" As an apprentice I made myself a cigarette lighter as a foreigner and whilst buffing it on a canning spindle it flew out of my hands and landed at Jimmie's feet.
Received telling off and then appraisal for workmanship. Jimmy several years later gave me his Toolbox and various tools. I probably still have his hand engraved oddlegs. The Toolroom superintendent at that time was Mr Sprague, (Arthur) and Jimmy was foreman. I was eventually assigned to the Drawing Office and then transferred to Netherton as technical supervision on the shop floor upon it's opening.
I left and ran my own engineering business for nigh on 50 years. I remember a Mr Lawler.
Being a Napier apprentice was a gateway to further employment.
My brother David also benefited from his Napier training and became  Chief Engineer on various cruise liners.

Re: Ex Napier(Liverpool) apprentice.

Roy Gasson
Thank you for your post, interesting I think the apprenticeship stood us all in good stead, and yes I think we all did a few homers over the years.
I checked our list of ex-employees and the two names you mention were not on it (I will add them), if you get a chance please check it out and see if you can add any more.

Thank you

Roy
Chairman.