NAPIER FILMS

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from Saturday 17 January 2009

Whilst clearing out the attic, I came across some old 8mm film which might be of interest. Of poor quality and very short, one shows a Dark Class FPB being put in the water at Saunders Roe at Beaumaris on Anglesey where I was one of two Service engineers on site in January 1956. At the end of the film is a very short shot of the Prototype Deltic being driven out of the shed at Willesden (I think), with a shot of Frank Yellen and Harry Crowther. The other film is of a trip on the Darks to St Peter Port on Guernsey in April 1956. This was with the Navy from HQ Coastal Forces at HMS Hornet, where I was one of the 2 Napier Service Engineers posted down there. If they are of interest to anyone they could be transferred to CD as they are not brittle even after all this time.
My e-mail address is below. I was a Napier Apprentice (Trade to Student), 1950 to 1955. I trained with Frank Bonney and Len Seymour in the school at Park Royal and I have been trying to remember the names of some of my apprentice colleagues from that time. Len Rust, John Hardy, Jack Haigh, Pat Patterson ( who had a Riley 9 sports car, I remember), Johnny ?, are some of the names which spring to mind. Are any of them still around? On finishing my apprenticeship, I joined the Napier Sales and Service Department under Mr Southam, the Sales Manager and Mr Clifton Clarke, the Service Manager and the amazing Rear Admiral Cowland.. I initially worked on the Dark Class FPBs then the Protoype Deltic Loco on Dynamometer trials and the night sleeper from Euston to Carlisle and return. I then moved to Turbochargers and stayed with them until I was caught for National Service and went in to the RAF for a 3 years Short Service Commission as an Education Officer.
I stayed in Service education and never went back to Napiers.I only came across this website by accident and it raised many memories and I would be pleased to hear from any of my old colleagues before it is too late. Maybe it is already!
Peter Browning

Re: NAPIER FILMS

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from 31 March 2010

My name is Michael Crowther, and Harry Crowther was my father. After years with Napier, he joined General Motors in Wellingborough for a few years, then we emigrated to the U.S. in November, 1969, as my father was recruited to be Senior Project Engineer for Mack Trucks (after his work on the Super Pumper System several years earlier.) My dad died at age 67 in 1990. I’ve certainly heard the name Frank Yellin before from my mother, Patricia Crowther, who is still strong at age 83 and living in Allentown Pennsylvania.

Michael Crowther

Re: NAPIER FILMS

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from

n 31 March 2010

Thank you for your posting Michael lets hope someone reading this remembers working with your father, we featured the Super Pumper in our Newsletter recently.

Roy Gasson
NPHT Chairman