NPHT Visit to Rolls Royce Heritage Derby

NPHT Visit to Rolls Royce Heritage Derby

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from Saturday 7 June 2008

When Roy Gasson said he was going to organise a visit to two museum sites, I was anxious to get my name on the list of Napier visitors, but, on arriving at Shop 12A at the required rendezvous time of 10.30, I was surprised to hear of the number of non-attending members.
I was very surprised with the display at 12A it was vast not only Rolls Royce products but those of competitors taken over which included a Napier Sabre, what mark I do not know, it looked very clean and ready to be put into a Typhoon or Tempest. Also Napier Scorpion Rocket Motors a Double and Triple mock up.
The products of Armstrong Siddeley taken over in 1962 included cars also, of which the manufacture very soon ceased after the deal was carried out. The two cars on display were impressive, particularly the limousine trimmed out for Chauffeur operation. It came from a past era, I believe only the Queen uses a car with a layout like that now and that is a BENTLEY.
All the exhibits were well set out for viewing and clean too, this in an old factory setting.
We were transferred by luxury coach to the main plant area to SINFIN. Where lunch was taken in the vast Works Canteen, it reminded me of two companies I worked for, one being Acton, on the top floor. We then moved onto what is the training building to see more engines starting with Piston engines and moving on to rockets and Gas Turbines. After this we went back to 12A Shop for a further look around, being well looked after by the members of the Coventry volunteer staff, including tea and cakes before departing.
Apparently there is another Museum at Ansty, Coventry, we must have a visit there. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and thank Roy Gasson and Rolls Royce Ltd.
Ray Horsley