Recollections of John Edgar Boyden

napiertrust
Administrator
Archive from Monday 23 June 2008

It’s late and I have just put down Alan Vessey’s stirring account of D Napier & Son, and my minds eye goes back to the day that I passed though those Works gates as prospective Craft or Toolroom Apprentice to be interviewed in the Cottage. The date escapes me but I was just 15 and some looking forward to starting a lifetime machine shop career under the watchful eye (and no doubt influential person) of my father C.H.Boyden, Chief Cost and Wages Clerk.
The year would be 1935 and in the Cottage…well, was it Mr. Cass who ’signed me up’? My 5yr Indentured Apprenticeship Parchment has long been stolen along with other personal documentation. First job was as drawing office print boy and thence into the Toolroom to join Cecil Bill Cottee.

John Boyden